Frequently Asked Questions
What is microblading?
Microblading is a cosmetic tattoo procedure created to mimic hair like strokes in the brows. Using a hand tool and a small blade, small cuts are made to resemble hair strokes and are then filled with pigment. Once healed, it will leave natural hair strokes in your brows to provide definition, fill in gaps, and give the illusion of overall fuller brows.
What are Powder Brows?
Powder brows are a cosmetic tattoo procedure done with a digital PMU machine. The final result will look like a soft, gradient, filled in makeup look. This technique is great for those with all skin types, including oily skin.
What is a Lip Blush?
Soft shading technique done using a machine to enhance lip shape and color. Final result will be a soft "lip tint" effect on the lips. The idea is to enhance the shape of the lips to make them look fuller, brighter, and brighter. This will last approximately 2 years depending on skin type, lifestyle, and aftercare. Expect swelling and tenderness immediately following the procedure. Healing process is about 5 days. Immediate color will be dark and bright, and will fade about 50%.
What is an Eyeliner Enhancement?
A liner enhancement is a soft shading done to enhance the density of your lashes. No harsh lines will be present, Color will be a dark deep black that will heal soft and natural. Eyes may be swollen and tender immediately following the procedure. Healing time is about 5 days. Top liner can be accompanied by bottom liner as well, decision is up to the client. Will last a few years depending on maintenance.
Will it hurt?
Everyones level of discomfort is different, I have clients who don't feel a thing while others are a little bit more uncomfortable. I use TWO topical lidocaine based numbing creams throughout the procedure to numb the area and minimize discomfort. Halfway through, I promise you will not feel a thing!
How long does it last?
This depends on many factors including: skin care, skin type, lifestyle, diet, and technique. The pigment used during the procedure is specifically formulated for cosmetic tattoo services Average time is 12-24 moths. *Please note that results CANNOT be guaranteed, neither I nor you can predict how your skin will take/break down the pigment.*
Factors that affect microblading/powder brows:
- Oily skin: Those with oily skin may not retain as much pigment and may require more frequent touch ups. This is caused by the over production of oil in your skin. Will your brows still look great? Of course! This is just a precaution.
- Dark skin: Those with darker skin tones will notice faster pigment fading and may require more frequent touch ups.
- Mature skin: Those with mature skin will notice faster pigment fading, and will require more frequent touch ups.
How often will I need to come in?
You will need to come in for an initial session, and a follow up session 8-12 weeks after your first session. After that, you must wait 6 months to come back for a touch up to allow your skin to heal completely. Some clients come in once a year for touch ups, others at 8 months, others at 2 years. This will depend entirely on your desires/skin.
How do you choose the color?
I use high quality pigments that come with an extensive color identification chart for professional artists. I take into consideration your hair color, brow color, lash color, and skin tone. No, you will not end up with black eyebrows. I guarantee the color will be a perfect match, and as a client you have the final say for the color selection!
Will my tattoo turn different colors?
NO, the pigment used during the procedure is specially formulated for semi-permanent cosmetics and made to break down over time. These are iron-oxide based pigments, sterilized, made in US, and are safely used for eyebrow enhancement procedures.
Can I get microblading over an old tattoo?
Yes and no, this is entirely done on a case by case basis. If you have your brows tattooed you MUST send me a picture before booking. If you book without sending me a picture and I can't work on you, your deposit/payment is non-refundable as a timeframe has been blocked out for you already. If your tattoo is sufficiently faded, I can work over your existing work to color correct and create hair strokes. If your tattoo is not faded enough, removal is the best option and I can perform microblading 60 days after your removal procedure. You need to add "shading" to your procedure to be able to correct the color.
How do I prepare for my procedure?
Here are a few things you can do to prepare for your appointment.
- Do not get a sunburn/tan on your face for 2 weeks prior. If you will be in the sun, wear sunscreen and protective hat gear to protect your eyebrows. If you come in with a sunburn, we will need to reschedule your appointment.
- Stop all retin-a products, skin peels, skin exfoliants 30 days prior
- No medications for 72 hrs (Advil, Tylenol, Aspirin etc...)
- Come in to your appointment with your brows fully grown out, I provide a complementary brow shaping!
- Come in with no makeup, you can fill in your brows as you normally do so I can get an idea of how you like them.
What can I expect after my procedure?
I will provide extensive aftercare instructions after the procedure, however, these are a few things to keep in mind:
- No wetting your brows other than your daily washing.
- No picking, scratching, or rubbing the brow area.
- You can apply a light healing ointment (provided or instructed) to the area
- No direct sun for at least 30 days, if you plan on going in the sun you must wear sunscreen and a hat!
You CANNOT get microblading if:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Have diabetes, any skin disease or infections, or have trouble healing
- Are on blood thinners, you will need to contact your doctor and ask if you can stop medication 72hrs prior.
- Used Accutane within 6 months
- Under 18 years old
ALL deposits and gift certificates are non-refundable. The deposit is put towards a hold and a materials fee for all appointments. If you need to cancel/reschedule, IAM Beauty Studio reserves the right to keep the deposit/gift certificate and the client is allowed to use the deposit towards a future service.